Vedanta Retreat in Rishikesh: What did I learn?

It is very easy to answer Tara on 'what I learned!' In fact, it will be a sweet revenge! Normally it is Tara who attends such talks. On her return from the lecture, while I could guess her reply, I would ask: 'How was it?' She would go ecstatic on how good the speaker was, how fluent, relevant and so on and then would just give me this 'look', a look which implied that you missed an opportunity to become spiritual! I would then ask her, hoping to appease her 'Give me a gist!'. She would say 'It was very good, but I cannot explain it you! You have to be there in person and listen!' The tone would also imply 'you will never go!' I believe I surprised myself and her by coming to this retreat!

It really is not easy to talk about Vedanta and what it means to me. Neema always cautioned us that Vedanta gives us 'no capsule' which would make things clear in a flash! Surya would tell us that 'there is no checklist' you can tick off and assume 'you are now aware!'

As I listened to Neema I felt privileged to have been a part of this retreat and felt enriched by the company of my fellow participants. I also felt grateful and thankful for all the good things that has happened in our lives! Neema would remind us that we are all connected and that so many people have contributed to our lives. Even the fact that we congregated there at Rishikesh was the result of so many working towards it and that we were indeed dependent.

The last few years have been very significant and positive for us and we feel blessed! The arrival of grandchildren have kept us busy and fulfilled! We reconnected with Neema and Surya as Tara arranged a series of talks at our place! I still had a choice to take a walk on Sukhumvit, but Rikhi as direct as he can be, urged me to attend. 'Your Guru has come to you, better attend the lectures!’ It is also the time I was encouraged by Seema to learn swimming! And my young golfing friends made it a point to include me in their group. They even took me on a golfing retreat! All this made my post retirement days easier to deal with!

While I have many things to dwell upon and be thankful, being at the ashram I could appreciate the many seekers who devoted their lives to learn the mysteries and the meaning of creation and the creator while I have just made a beginning.

While I spoke of the many positive aspects of our life, we are also faced with challenges and in fact we all have faced grief in our lives. Neema had recently lost her father, very suddenly and unexpected. I even wondered whether she would postpone the retreat, but she did not! Her teachings began with how she missed her father, who had also planned to be present at the retreat and how much she owed to him. The expression of her deep grief touched our hearts and sharing her grief healed me of my own grief at the loss of our dear ones, some very recent.

I recall on the last morning of our retreat, I walked towards the river 'Gangajee' to bid my farewell. The sky was clear and I could see the stars and river and also hear her constant murmur which was such a comfort to us. Then suddenly the mist rose and soon the river was covered and I said to myself 'The Mystery continues!'

I think I will just reply Raghu who commented in my blog in jest 'Was there Vedanta?' by quoting his earlier comments: 'Dear Nidhi, Thanks for a good report. You seem to have had a good trip. I am sure Manduka Upanishad etc apart, the scene and environs would have invigorated you. Peace with the environment is the essence of the effort. Great. Raghu'

While you can actually hear Neema speak through a series of Videos, these pictures show how animated she gets as she speaks of Vedanta.













I imagine it will be quite a while before I qualify myself to be a hermit! Even this pseudo hut, made of concrete, was out of my reach as it was located right across the flowing river.

Comments

Marisa Narula said…
Your comments show that you grasped a great deal. I have always seen you as a person who is "seeking" but we all seek in different ways. And when the time is right the "teacher is at our doorstep" as you rightfully said. Surya and Neema came into my life because of your persistent and enthusiastic wife. I repeat what I said on the last day of class when you and Tara were there "Continue the search, do not give up even if sometimes the teaching sounds alien (I use to think it sounded like something out of Star Trek initially - the consciousness part)because when you understand it with your BEING suddenly circumstances in your life fall into place and I finally understood the words "letting go".....the understanding was totally different from what I had understood it as before. So through you I thank Tara for putting me in touch with Surya and Neema who have become an integral part of my life now. And I hope they read this too. Thanks Nidhi - I repeat again - you write beautifully and sometimes what you say brings tears to my eyes because I can feel that it comes from the heart.
Neema said…
(I received this message from our 'Teacher' Neema thru email!)

Hi Nidhi!

I enjoyed reading your series of blogs. It is interesting to read you recounting the retreat in terms of what it meant for you. I like the fact that for the actual teaching, you refer people to the videos as it is difficult to summarize the teaching in a few words. As David (one of the participants of the retreat) said, it was difficult to summarize one single class as it covered so many aspects which are all inter-linked in an intricate manner. Then, what to talk of summarizing the teaching which took place during the whole retreat.

Your stories have inspired many people and as a result, I pray that more and more people choose to expose themselves to this profound teaching tradition which is life transforming. Thanks a lot for being an instrument in making people know about this teaching.

with very warm regards to you and Tara
Neema
Maya said…
(Maya sent me this mail! - Thanks for your comments Maya!)

Dear Nidhi and Tara,

Thanks for a fascinating account of your retreat. It was truly inspiring. You captured the moments, the serenity, the camaraderie and the spirituality of the occasion so well.


With love and best wishes,

Maya
VATSALA said…
Glad to have stimulated you. I think you have a glimmer of Vedanta in the latest post.Would also have appreciated comments on the extra stars visible and relook at the constellations!or was that place full of suspended respirable particles?
Raghu

Popular Posts