It is all about perception!

Sashi Tharoor is in the news or should I say was news! While he is no more making the front pages, he is trying his best. Latest is that he is asking for a thorough investigation of the Kochi affair. We all know he is very smart with a long track record with the UN. But I hope he is doing the right thing.

He still maintains that what he and his 'J' did was just incorruptible mentoring! But, as I have learnt, it is all about perceptions! Reminds me of my own experiences. Mine was with the police not politicians!

A few times I have strayed by mistake into a one way street, a very common occurrence in Bengaluru! Experienced drivers seem know when the cops are not around to catch and fine them! Even school kids help by warning these errant drivers about cops hiding behind a tree ahead of them. Once I saw a lady driver, who heeded this warning, backing out of the one way street under the benevolent eyes of the cops ! I thought it was very chivalrous of them! It would have been easier on others if they had just let her go thru! Happily even I have escaped being fined a few times by acting confused, which I was, and contrite!

But I also had to pay a couple of times. Once I was taken in by the cop. I stopped at the junction as I was not sure which way to go. May be I was a yard beyond the line, but still within acceptable limits. The cop ahead made a sign and I thought he was allowing me to pass. As I neared him, he stopped me and fined me. They have blackberries to do this job!

I protested saying that it was not fair as he could have just asked me to turn left! But he was not in a mood to listen. Then I noticed that there were more of them on duty including a sub-inspector a little away on a motorbike. Which meant it was a collection day and there was no hope of mercy! Anyway my cop appeared to be a new recruit and I was probably his first Bhakra! (Victim). He looked very thrilled!

The other day, I was fined again and it was the day Sashi Tharoor offered to resign. It happened this way! As I just crossed the line at the junction the traffic light changed and I slowed down a bit and then thinking that as I had already crossed the line, I could go through! Wrong!

As I turned right I saw a horde of policemen hiding behind the pillars of the flyover and I was stopped! I tried to tell them I would have created more problems by stopping! I think they understood that but it was again a collection day and I paid up!

What did me in was the slight hesitation! It was an admission of my guilt according to the cop. He said that I definitely had jumped the light. 'I saw you slow down and then speed up to jump the red light'! 'Not expected of a senior citizen' he added! It was at this moment I realised that I was being as naive as our friend ST! The priorities are very different here, when we deal with either policemen or politicians!

In fact, I was very surprised at Tharoor's very smooth and successful return to India. I guess even the congress party leaders went naive! As any NRI knows, especially when trying to come back to contribute their expertise (Not money!) the path is not that smooth!

We are told frankly that our experience abroad has no meaning here.In fact, they may be counter productive! A typical NRI who is hired to work here has to go through a period of total reconditioning before he is vested with any real responsibility!

Anyway I have high hopes for Sashi, I am sure he will bounce back and do good in the long term! Our only hope of creating a Ramrajya in India is to people politics with persons who have values, which is at the moment is full of the other types. More of Ravanas and Shurpankas, people who play negative roles, as to day there are no villains!

Comments

jogesh said…
i see you've been taken in by his smarmy oxbridge manner. give me a slimy maddu anyday.
Probably I am! My premise was that with UN pension and savings, he may not stoop to corruption! Too bad if he is in spite of this. Who is a 'Maddu'?
Sandhya said…
Nidhi, did you hear his talk in the parliament...as it was said his talk was all 'emotion and no substance'. After so many years in International service, I do not believe he can be called 'naive'. I think his calculations just misfired. When he talks he reminds me of our English teacher in school who spoke so beautifully that we all sat mesmerised but at the end of the day we realised that we didnt end up doing anything that the syllabus demanded!
Sandhya
That is two of you not impressed!
Nidhi uncle, the UN has its share of nepotism, bribery other than bureaucracy which it has loads of. So ST came with years of training in that sense- not the typical NRI.
Hi Mohini
A point well made. It seems I am outnumbered! Frankly I tried not to be a cynic!
Anonymous said…
Nidhi, felt bad that people/ politicians like Sashi Tharoor had to quit. For a change we see some good calibre among the politicians today.
In India we have corrupt/criminals etc who are politicians & they remain in power even to this day.
Hope ST comes back in the govt.
VATSALA said…
Your comments on Bangalore traffic has a NRI flavour. You (and probably I too) have the look of a pay-it-up and finish with it look. Hence are easy targets!
Shashi Tharoor will bounce back. This interlude will give him a chance to spend some more time in T'puram and brush up his Malayalam. Having him around now would have been toxic for the likes of Sharad Pawar who incidentally showed his colours when he dumoed Modi!
More in my future comments.

Popular Posts